Pages

Monday, April 20, 2009

Nature at its best

The Hunter and I went turkey hunting this weekend. We didn't get any turkeys, but we found some need plants. I am not sure what some of them are. I found this plant walking through the woods. It was a big cluster of them. Really pretty. This was from the same plant. Any ideas?
I know this is a weed...The Hunter made it a point to tell me 3 or 4 times..LOL! I believe it is thistle. I thought it was pretty interesting.
This came off of some sort of Gum tree. Not sure what kind. It has really pretty blooms that are white & lime green with bright orange stripe.
Do any of you know what type of Gum tree this is? I need to Google it...maybe I should have done that before I posted!
I didn't do much in the garden, since I was gone hunting. We came back around lunch yesterday. It rained for about 30 minutes, which was great. I did get some housework done..as the quote says "God made rainy days so gardeners could get housework done", this is true for me...it has to be raining for me to get anything done inside!

11 comments:

Bren Haas said...

Seriously... Weeds?! Wow.. those are some nice looking 'weeds'. I like the colors. As far as editing photos I use the Picasa ( free) from Google. And my music was added at the bottom of my page by using the Gadget (html) add on at Blogger. Visit http://www.playlist.com/ to create you own music player to add to your page. It takes some playing with to figure out but feel free to ask me if you have any questions.
LOVE YOUR BLOG.... Keep making the world a prettier place via your blog!

Dirt Princess said...

Bren - There are so many neat weeds/flowers growing in the wild...it is amazing. Half the time we are too busy chasing a turkey for me to stop and pick them. Sometimes I just grab them as we are chasing a turkey LOL! The Hunter is used to this. I am going to make a playlist now. I am honored that you love my blog!!!!

Prospero said...

I was lucky, no rain this weekend. Nice scavenger hunt.

walk2write said...

Tulip poplar? It looks like it to me. The shape of the leaves look like the classic tulip shape. We had tons of them in Southern Illinois in the woods. We live in NW FL now, and I haven't noticed any here, but that doesn't mean they aren't to be found. Just went for possibly our last walk in the woods yesterday, at least until late next autumn. The mosquitoes are already out in force!

Dirt Princess said...

Bren - I HAVE MUSIC!!!!!!!!! WHOO HOO!!!!!!

walk2write - Thanks. I am going to look into it. The mosquitos were not quite as bad as the bull gnats!! UGH!! I have HUGE whelps on my neck from them! Nothing keeps them off, not deet, not Off, not skin so soft...nothing. Even when it started raining, they kept on a flyin'!

Dirt Princess said...

Walk2write - you nailed it! Liriodendron tulipifera...tulip poplar! THANKS!!!!!!!

Jesikarena said...

I LOVE that version of Over the Rainbow! absolutely beautiful!

Dirt Princess said...

Jesikarena...don't you though! It takes me back to Hawaii...wish I was there!!!!!!!

Cathy S. said...

Great looking weeds

walk2write said...

I'm glad I could help. There are a lot of trees and plants I'm not familiar with here in the South, but that was one I knew from the Midwest. Bull gnats? Are those the same thing as no-see-ums? I'm learning as I go. We've only been in FL for about six years. I have learned that lavender essential oil is a good remedy for bug bites and usually helps fend them off for a while.

Jan said...

It does look like the same thing that falls off my tulip poplars. They are pretty, but they make a mess all over my gardens in my backyard:-( I have a bunch of poplar trees and they grow in 2's and 3's, all out of the same trunk. I've heard they should be cut down since that could end up being a problem but so far, I haven't the heart to do that. I enjoy the trees in the backyard. I've added you to my bloglist and I'm now a follower...I finally think I'm getting my list back together again;-)

Please sign my guest book :)

Blotanical

Blotanical

Translate

My Blog List

My Blog List