Pages

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Extreme Makeover - Front Yard Edition

So, the front yard looks like a mess. I am tackling that problem. #1 I am removing the grass between the sidewalk and flower bed to enlarge that bed. #2 I am going to create a new bed around the light post (where the white is). I sprayed weed killer all over these areas yesterday to get the grass to go away. I am going to spray it again today. I plan on planting a clematis at the post so it can climb up it, hollyhocks at the base, then foxglove, english daisy, cosmos, coneflowers, zinnia, and salvia. Should be nice a colorful to distract away from that mess known as grass!
#3 (not shown) is enlarging the area around the mailbox. I currently have 2 knockout roses at the mailbox (which will stay), I am adding in several other flowers. I prayed it also...it is mostly rattlesnake weed! I will take pics of it today...that it is you don't mind the rattlesnake weed!

9 comments:

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

Sounds like it will look really nice. I'm hoping to get rid of some grass in our front too. I like the shape you've outlined, and the clematis will look really nice on the post.

Susie said...

Looks and sounds like you are going to be pretty busy!!!

Ginger said...

Wow, this is an extreme makeover! I look forward to seeing it come together on your blog :)

Lona said...

Sounds like you are planting a nice cottage garden around your post. I have five Knock out Roses and just love them. The are so hardy and bloom all of the time which I really like.Cannot wait to see your finished bed when it is growing this summer.
I see you are a hunter too. I use to when younger and the game warden one fall stopped and talked to me, checked my license, etc. he couldn't believe there was a woman squirrel hunting. Well!! :) Do you think he might not have been a country boy.

Dirt Princess said...

THanks guys....I will take pics of my neighbor's yard soon...and you will see why I need the help. Their yard is on our garden tour, and I don't want people pulling up to their house and looking at mine thinking " the nieghbor really needs to do something about their yard!".

Hocking Hills - nice to know that there are a few of female hunters out there! The Hunter is going to be starting his own blog soon about our hunting adventures. We have it up (EZ Does It Outdoors - it is under blogs I follow) but he has not added anything yet. He can't stay out of the woods long enough ;)

Anonymous said...

Sounds exciting - it's going to be beautiful!

I hate digging out sod - but I've done plenty of it. I'm sure I've done it the hard way, not knowing any better. I'm excited to watch your process of going from grass to beautiful flowerbed. I hope you'll keep us posted!

Becca's Dirt said...

Looks like you have a lot of digging. That is a rather large area. I know it will be beautiful when done. Have fun digging.

Ginger said...

Dirt Princess,
You must've gone hunting again this weekend. How are your seedlings doing??

Ginger

Dirt Princess said...

Ginger you hit the nail on the head! I have been hunting since Friday!!! I am finally back and ready to start blogging again. If I am MIA it is usually because I am hunting...LOL!

Please sign my guest book :)

Blotanical

Blotanical

Translate

My Blog List

My Blog List