Pages

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Puddle Jumping

What a weekend! It rained everyday!!! I didn't end up going to Dauphin Island. The weather was way to nasty. I just hung out around the house, cleaned and watched some movies. I worked out in the yard Sunday for a little while. Long enough to get some things planted. Let's start with some photos form after the rain on Sunday...... Pinecone Ginger Four O'Clocks
I planted the impatiens from Marilyn as a border in this bed. I am hoping the rain didn't drown them. They look pretty puny! I moved the hostas toward the front, and moved some Four O'Clocks into another bed, they were everywhere.
I made this new bed (it's on the opposite side of the fence as the one shown above). This is actually in the front yard. I bought these impatiens from Wal-Mart for $1 a piece. They were quart size containers. I planted 2 hydrangeas and some Four O'Clocks in this bed as well. I will add to it as I go.
Miniature Dahlia and Pansy
Daylily
I peeked out during the rain to see how much the yard was washing away....so have a look for yourself!
The water runs over the stepping stones.......
Standing around the fence............
Running through the yard............
wading through the grass.....................
Soaking the flower beds.............
The infamous Rose Bed River.....in action....I made a semi dry bed, a channel for the water to escape through...seems to be working. It is running out at one point instead of washing out the entire bed.
Around my back door
I'm not sure how many inches of rain we got in all....I emptied it out Saturday because it was full (it holds 6"). I meant to check it this morning but forgot. We have a 50% chance of rain today, and it is supposed to rain everyday this week. This is great for all the plants. They really need it, especially my seeds, and babies I planted.
I spent most of Memorial Day at my Mom's with my family that was in town from Birmingham. I will share that with ya'll tomorrow. I hope you all had a wonderful weekend.

19 comments:

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Oh DP, Sorry about all of the rain--especially on a holiday weekend. What a shame!!!! NOW--during this next week (when people are not on vacation), the weather will probably be gorgeous. Darn!!!!

We got lucky up here. We only had 1/2 inch total throughout the entire weekend and Monday.. And that 1/2 inch came during the night. We had perfect holiday weekend this year. Sorry---didn't mean to gloat!!!!!!

Anyhow, your garden/yard/flowers are loving all of this rain. They are gorgeous!!!
Hugs,
Betsy

MILLIE said...

Send a little bit of that precious water north. My spring has turned into summer, and my moisture loving spring plants could use a drink from the heavens. Hope you had a nice weekend.

Victoria Williams said...

Geez, that is a ton of rain! Hope you dry out before long.

Unknown said...

We are a little tired of the rain here too. My daughter in Daytona Beach said they have already had 22 inches........You did quite a bit of work outside between the showers, looks good.

Cathy S. said...

Sorry about all of the rain, hopefully it won't do any damage to your lovely garden.

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

That is a lot of rain. I hope it stops raining there and dries out soon!

Ginger said...

Good lord that is a lot of rain!!

Well, I think your yard and garden looks amazing. I love that huge newish bed in the back next to the house with the birdbath in it. You are going to want to stay in that house forever after you make the yard so gorgeous!

Prospero said...

That's lots of rain. Hopefully you won't have too much damage. Perhaps you should convert your cars/trucks into hovercrafts, or some kind of amphibious vehicles.

Anonymous said...

I know I know. I hope I didn't send it to you. It all still looks great.

Carol Murdock said...

I hear ya DP...I feel like a duck! I bogged
down in the big garden this morning try'n to get pictures to post! We'll be wishing for this about July and August though.

Dirt Princess said...

Thanks for all the comments, I love readin them all! It is thundering outside now. More rain coming! Makes for a good nap!!!! This should really perk things up now. I can't wait to see all the blooms, buds and new growth this rain brings...plus it washed my car off

Unknown said...

You have had a lot of rain. Your flowers are filling in really nice and they look great.

Lona said...

Yep, a little soggy there girl :-) Sorry it ruined your weekend.

Susie said...

My back yard doesn't look a lot better. We too have had lots of rain and it just sits on my backyard grass.

Avis said...

That was a lot of rain! Your four o'clocks look great, though. I've tried growing them in containers several time but didn't have much success. It's nice to see what they look like truly realized. Cheers!

NatureStop said...

That's a lot of rain...wish you could send some this way:)Love your garden blooms.

cherry said...

Miss DP ~ Pinecone Ginger? I have never heard of it, can't wait to see yours blooming..

Fixing to start raining here again.. hope yours has stopped and you have a sun shinny kinda day..
hugs, Cherry

Serena Bates said...

Okay so now iam officially envious of all your rain!!! Last time we had rain like that was in November and we put rubber duckies out on the lawn and they floated around!

But your lawn does look very green!

Dirt Princess said...

Avis I like Four O'Clocks but they are VERY invasive! I just pull them up and move them or give them away. They will be fine as long as I thin them out.

Nature Stop - I will work on that...;)

Cherry - I have 4 different kinds of Ginger, and actually the one shown is not pinecone ginger, I can't remember what it is. Pinecone ginger looks like a pinecone.

Serena - That is too funny!!!

Please sign my guest book :)

Blotanical

Blotanical

Translate

My Blog List

My Blog List