Pages

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Just Junkin' Around

I love junk, I can't help it....I love to see what I can make out of junk! I drive by flea markets and my heart races with excitement....wonder what I can find in there? So here are just a few of my wonderful treasures. The Hunter does not get my obsession with junk, not that I care....he already tells me our yard looks like a flea market (which it does not). I think it is better to look like it does that be dead, with vines growing up the front of the house, and weeds everywhere. You can tell alot about a persons home from looking at the yard...wouldn't ya'll agree?
This precious ball of flowers was once a light fixture....a COOL light at that. I have several chandeliers that I have yet to do anything with. I have this particular one hanging on the rose arbor ok, so this isn't "junk". The Dirt Queen (mom) got this for me...how cute is it!
My friend was going to have a yard sale ans she told me to come over and get what I wanted before the sale....and so I did! I got this little urn....not sure what I am going to do with it just yet
Hanging flower vase ($3) from my favorite Consignment Shop, and YES those are FAKE FLOWERS (gasp) in the vase! It is dreadful, but I don't have much this year due to the lack of rain.
Here is another hanging vase from the same store ($3)
My friend had this weather vane to sell in her yard sale, it was still in the box!!! Needless to say it is now out of the box and in my yard!!!
How precious!
I LOVE it!
This is a RANDOM Hodge podge of stuff. The pot on the far left is actually a 26 gal crock that was my grandpa's. I made it into a pot. The bucket on the right, was my grandma's old tub, I also made it into a pot. The fence in the back was a sample of a fence that I was using on a project when I was working at an architectural firm.
the flower light again just because it is so very cool
I love windows! OLD windows. I have several of them, and I want more! It is about 4' wide x 5' high. I have a clematis planted on it, the little silver thing below it is just a "helper" to get the clematis started. The "helper" came off of a camper screen door...LOL!!
My wire chickens also from my fave consignment shop ($3 each)
close up of my cute new sign
found this in my friends yard sale stuff This I love....I bought this terrarium at...guess? MY FAVE CONSIGNMENT SHOP! $15!!! Is it not great! One day I will spray paint it. (Notice the dead flowers under it....the heat!).For now I have filled it with a few things. I have a wire chicken basket that was my grandma's. I filled it with moss and created a flower arrangement that I can change seasonally. I am a seasonal person. My friend (the yard sale one) is always laughing at my seasonal decor. I decorate for every holiday, but my decor also changes with the seasons. During the Fall (which is my fave to decorate for)I have all fall colors, orange, bronze, gold, burgundy, etc. Winter is like a wonderland, I decorate with non traditional colors such as pink, purple, aqua, silver and crazy little things stuck all in my tree. I LOVE nutcrackers and I am proud to say that I own a life size nutcracker! I love him! Ok enough with my seasonal decor. I will blog about that when the time arrives and I have nothing in the garden to blog about.
back to the terrarium....here is an up close shot of my arrangement. Sorry I didn't get a photo before I stuck it in there!
Here are a few more of my finds that I have blogged about in the past:
Now you get this picture? I love junk! Call me crazy....but I know alot of you love junk as well! So show us your junk around your garden. We want to see it.....really!

18 comments:

Carol Murdock said...

I love all your treasures! Great hunt!
Tell the hunter, you hunt stuff to save, not eat! HA! :D

tina said...

I agree, that flower light on the rose arbor is too cool!

Ginger said...

Love that flower lamp and what you have done with it!! You are so creative!

Jesikarena said...

I LOVE all of it!Its great! You have a great eye for "junk"!I love the flower light!!! SO CUTE! I am absolutely speechless on the rest I just love it all!
GREAT JOB!

Melanie Elissa said...

I love all your "junk"! I will trade the cake plate for the old light fixture!! I'm so glad I'm not alone when it comes to "junkin"!! Have a great day!!

EB said...

It's odds and ends like that that really make a garden, for me. Because so many of us grow the same flowers. But maybe that's just like saying all music is the same notes only in a different order!

Kathy said...

I am in awe of all your (junk) lol, it all looks so wonderful in your garden and you sound like you are an expert at finding all the best stuff, the flower ball IS REALLY cool, the weather vane looks perfectly happy there (I really like him) and the terrarium is gorgeous, happy Wednesday, Kathy.

islandgardener said...

I totally understand because I love junk, too! Just say that you are "repurposing" everything...very trendy now, you know!

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

I really like all of your finds! I never think to look in consignment/thrift shops for garden items.
I love the old window, and have been looking for something like that for my garden. You have a good eye!

Becca's Dirt said...

Great post DP. Love the yard art. It is so fun to go pilfering through a flea market or a yard sale. You found some nice things and very creative with them.

Anonymous said...

This all really good stuff! The lamp makes me smile because I got a similar one for a wedding present in 1971. Oh how I loved that lamp. Then the eighties rolled around and I thought it was tacky. Now I would love to find another one. I covet that terrarium, it looks beautiful; I must go find some consignment shops pronto.

Joanne said...

Oh looks like you had fun

Unknown said...

We are one in the same... gotta love a good deal, and the hunt is half the fun! Love them all hun!

Debbie's Garden said...

Up until the Terrarium WHICH WAS AWESOME, you could've called your store the $3 cosignment shop! The ball of flowers is so perfect for a yard!. Yard "jewelery" is what I call it all. I love your Grandparent pieces too but the pictures too small!! We're seeing just the corners!

Steph said...

I love junk too! You have some great pieces. Love that weather vane. I wish my friends had stuff like that in their garage sales!

Lona said...

I am a junk gardener by heart. I just love reusing things for the house or garden. You have some great junk art in your beds. The stained glass hummer is so pretty. I love the window!

Victoria Williams said...

Tell your hubbie it's not junk, it's architecture!

The Fern and Mossery said...

That's an awesome terrarium! What a great find!

Please sign my guest book :)

Blotanical

Blotanical

Translate

My Blog List

My Blog List