Pages

Sunday, February 8, 2009

Are gardners sane people?

Some days when I am out working in the yard I have to question my sanity....is this what sane people do for fun? Deliberately do backbreaking work...for free? Saturday I got off to an early start. I was at Mrs. Carolyn Brown's house by 9am. Mrs. Brown is my 80 year old garden buddy who I dearly love. She is a plethora of information. I always learn so much when I visit her. I took her some daffodils I had. She of course knew what each and everyone of them were. The double daffodils are called Butter & Eggs. The ones that were not blooming that resembled wild onion are called Hoop Petticoat Daffodils, Minor Monarque are the small white clustered daffodil. She also told me that the amaryllis I gave her back in September is called St. Josephs Lilly, it is one of the first type of amaryllis. When I got back home...I began my sanity test. My first task was to plant the thousands of daffodil bulbs I had. Now when I dug them up....it seemed like a good idea at the time. But as I looked at them piled up on my lawn.....I began to feel a bit overwhelmed. So I began laying them out where they would be planted. Well this went on for hours...... After I laid them out...I started on a completely different project! I began enlarging one of my older beds. This soon began to wear on my back....so again...I moved back to the daffodils. Friday when I arrived home from work there were 2 flats of pansies on my doorstep. The only two people that leave things on my doorstep are my mom, and Ramona. Ramona had already called me earlier and she was at Lowe's, so I knew that they had come from Ramona. I began planting all the daffodils in the front beds. I have one bed that I had to put down plastic lining. The weeds were taking it over. That was a good idea, it keeps the weeds out....but it is a pain in the rear to plant in. I have to cut the plastic, and that is VERY time consuming. It took me close to 3 hours to plant the daffodils, irises and pansies in that bed. I gave up on even trying to plant the daffodils in the back yard until today. I eventually got all the daffodils planted in the back. I still have about 75+ bulbs to plant. I will save that for next weekend! If you plant bulbs...owning a bulb digger is thew way to go. I purchased mine at Big Lots for $3. You can squeeze the handles together to release the dirt. Ramona came by and brought me some bee balm (monarda), and some Jet Fire daffodils she purchased from Brent and Becky's bulbs. I did finally finish enlarging that one flower bed. I planted some daffodils (imagine that), irises, & bee balm. I moved the grass I dug up from there and used it to sod an area in the yard that doesn't have much grass. Hope it will take root and start growing. I took some pictures of the yard, I will post them tomorrow.

No comments:

Please sign my guest book :)

Blotanical

Blotanical

Translate

My Blog List

My Blog List