Pages

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Fertilizer Friday

We have had some rain the past few day. I went outside this morning and was amazed at what has popped up in the past few days.

 I know have 3 of the 6 various types of daffodils blooming. This one is a really small bloom, about the size of a quarter.
      

This is the Campernelle narcissus         
 

 and the smaller daffodil again. The rain had beat them down, so I had to hold them up to take the photos
                     

  Here are a few things that have popped up in the past few days:
African Daisy, Hydrangea, Irises, Sapphire Sage, Gladiola, & Phlox
                                                         


The African Daisy seemed to have come up from no where! I swear it wasn't there last weekend! It is loaded with blooms!                                       

Bee Balm (Monarda) is also popping up everywhere


I noticed about 5 or 6 irises that had buds on them!!! I can't wait for them to bloom, of course I get excited about any bloom!


I dug up all of my irises this past fall, divided them and replanted. I literally set the roots in the dirt, and lightly covered them, and left 90% of the bulb exposed. Irises don't like to be buried deep. In the past I have tried not to bury them deep....but apparently they still thought it was too deep! They must like only the roots in the ground....because most of them have buds on them now.


A week and a half after planting seeds....we have seedlings!!!! There are several Zinnia sprouting up. The white zinnias were from Stephanie at Steph's Green Space.


Dwarf Morning Glories came from Lona at A Hocking Hills garden! They are doing great


And last but not least....my heirloom hibiscus seeds. I just started collecting seeds from them this year, so I wasn't sure how they would do, but they are doing well!

Be sure to stop by Tootsie's page and check out the other gardeners who have signed up for Fertilizer Friday.

13 comments:

Ginger said...

Your daffodils and your photos look great! I love how you did the collage with the text on the faux polaroids.

I have two baby hibiscus going from the seeds you sent me :)

Stephanie said...

DP, I saw that Zinnia white now :-D I hope you could get it to bloom. I am really lousy with Zinnia. The Zinnia seeds you sent me, have already germinated and growing, but the rain kept pushing them down and making the plant look like crawling rather then standing up straight. I cut some buds which failed to flower nicely earlier. I am still hoping they will give at give at least one perfect bloom soon!

And your hibiscus, I have sown three seeds. All three germinated and now growing in the 'pink of health'. I would definitely alert you when they flower later ok!

Darla said...

Looking good girl. We had 2 1/2 inches of rain yesterday and it's raining again....

Debbie said...

Oh your plants are showing signs of spring all over, my stuff is still under a snow bank but I bet they are reaching towards the sky when it melts. Thanks for sharing.

Avalon's Garden and Mewsings of Garden Cottage Cats said...

Hi! Your pictures are Great! how good it is to see things blooming once again! Have a great weekend!

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

My goodness girl, your off to a fabulous start sister. The cold spell didn't seem to hurt your plants, I'm so happy for you.

God bless and have a super weekend!!!

Becca's Dirt said...

You've been busy and it is showing. Love the little babies sprouting. You are going to have some beautiful gardens this year.

have a good weekend.

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

I can't believe your Iris has buds already! It'll be months before ours do.
It's great to see all those seeds sprouting! I can't remember if I told you that the Hibiscus from you has sprouted.

Lona said...

Hi DP. Look at all of those tiny little plants growing. Did not take long to sprout did they? The raindrops on your daffodil looks so pretty but You probably do not welcome the rain just yet.
Have a wonderful weekend.
Lona

Maureen said...

Wow - everything looks great! I am very interested to see how the hibiscus does.

Dirt Princess said...

Ginger I am surprised at how easy they germinated! Very exciting!

Stephanie the rain beats a lot of plants down! I can't wait for those zinnias to bloom!

Darla it was supposed to be an 80% chance of rain today...but it never showed up!

Debbie they are all under that snow just waiting to jump out!

Angel thank you :-)

Nezzy I hope that the cold didn't hurt some of my other plants, but only time will tell

Becca I sure hope so. I have a lot of projects going on in the yard right now.

Catherine I was surprised also! My moms irises bloom 2 -3 times a year, and at the oddest times. I have 5 buds right now!

Hocking Hills, it has been raining quite a bit. But today was absolutely gorgeous out!

Maureen stay tuned! The large hibiscus I have are very hardy and nothing fazes them. I am surprised how well the seeds have done.

gittan said...

We've also had rain for a few days and finaly it seems like the snow will go away! We've had snow since Bilbo arrived!!! Now I hope that the daffswil show up here soon to. It looks great in your garden and all the seedlings to / gittan

Tatyana@MySecretGarden said...

You've been busy! Your garden will be beautiful with so many new plants!

Please sign my guest book :)

Blotanical

Blotanical

Translate

My Blog List

My Blog List