Pages

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Seed balls

I bought this pack of seedballs at the end of last summer. This company makes several different types of seed balls (http://www.gardenbasket.com/seedballz_seeds_of_hope.html). I read that this is how the native indians planted seeds. They rolled the seeds into a ball of clay and dropped them where they wanted them to grow. I am excited to see if they grow. There is a variety of seeds in each ball. This particular ball has Callistephus chinensis, Pink Centaurea cyanus, Pink Cosmos, Sensation, Cynoglossum, Gypsophila elegans, Iberis umbellata, Lavatera trimestris, Mirabilis jalapa, Nigella persian, Silene armeria, Zinnia elegans, & Dahlia. You do not bury them. You just set them on top of the ground and water them. You are not supposed to break them up, but one of mine was already broken. If this method works...I may start planting my other seeds this way !

Here is one little seedball waiting to flourish in it new home.

I will keep ya'll updated on how well they do. Has anyone else ever used these?

5 comments:

Tatyana@MySecretGarden said...

Hello, Princess! I've never used such seed balls and will be curious to see how they do in your yard! Thanks for the comment you left on MySecretGarden blog. That tall plant on my photo is Acanthus or Bear's breeches.

Ginger said...

Hey! Yes, the week is definitely getting better - thanks for asking :)

I haven't used seed balls, but I have PLENTY of clay in my yard to make us some if this really works! Let us know!

Becca's Dirt said...

The seed balls look neat. Thanks for sharing.

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

Those are really interesting! I've never seen or heard of them before. I'll be looking forward to seeing how they do!

Anonymous said...

I heard the Wildlife Research Institute a non-profit organization in Ramona, CA is using seed balls with native seed to revegetate public land that has been burned too frequently and is now barren. Sounded like a cool project.

Please sign my guest book :)

Blotanical

Blotanical

Translate

My Blog List

My Blog List